Thursday, September 22, 2011

The perfect sentence

Well, perhaps not the perfect sentence, but I certainly wrote a perfect sentence the other day. And, since here I am unable to go to sleep before I'm exhausted (ahh, the perils of being a writer), I decided that I would share it with you all.
In the hour before dawn, the luminescent sky tickles colour into the field of flowers.
 In my humble opinion, this is perhaps one of the better sentences I've ever written. I can use it as a prime example of the maxim "show, don't tell" that my English teachers, at least, have shoved down our throats for as long as I can remember. And, grudgingly, I would hap-hazarded my way with words into something more showy than literal, but never before have I been quite so proud of a single sentence.


Oh, you want to know why I suddenly decided to write this perfect sentence? Well, truth to be told, I stole it. But then, does anyone come up with a truly original idea? We'd spent the three days of class before I wrote that sentence discussing a few hundred words in English class, written as an intro to an astronomy book, as a way to show us the proper way to write our college application essays. (Yes, I know. My English teacher IS bloody awesome. Although it's my Euro teacher who's English.) So, yes, blame any future philosophical questions on that mindset, combined with the fact that I'm tired but not enough so to go to sleep, which usually just results in me not caring whether the random string of words I throw together and out at the world actually make any sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment